Friday, May 31, 2013

My Tree House @ Central Public Library

[Media Invite]

Why is there lightning and thunder? Why does it rain? What do penguins eat? 

These are just some examples of 10000 whys that Pei Pei is asking me. As Hao Hao is turning 4 years old soon, I think I will have to handle 2 x 10000 = 20000 whys!!

Congratulations! I have entered the phase of parenthood when I have to upgrade myself to become a walking encyclopedia! 

Talking about lightning, I can tell Pei Pei about electric discharge, blah blah blah, but I am sure she will not understand anything. 

We have been visiting library regularly. When Pei Pei and Hao Hao were younger, we only targeted the books on the shelves that labelled "baby books". Now, we start to venture to shelves of non-fiction books, where I can find books to explain to Pei Pei's 10000 whys in a way that she can understand.

When I heard about the opening of a new children library called My Tree House - the World's 1st Green Library for Kids - I was looking forward to its opening, as I was very curious what's so special about this library. Why is it called My Tree House? What is so green about it? (Oh, that could be a reason why Pei Pei asked so many whys, as I also have tons of whys!)

My Tree House opens today!! I was very excited to bring Pei Pei along to attend a parent-child session to get to know more about this library!

Oh, you mean this is a library? It is totally different from the image of conventional library in my mind!



No wonder it is called My Tree House - there is really a tree house at the centre of the library! The librarian conducted a story-telling session under the tree. Again, trying to be different, Pei Pei listened to the story from the top of the tree.



The library is eco-friendly in terms of using recycled materials to construct the displays.



Origami animals are so cute! This also gives me an art-and-craft idea to do with Pei Pei and Hao Hao!




Next to the tree house is the Weather Stump, which charts real-time weather information of Singapore, this includes temperature, rainfall and wind speed.



Pei Pei was checking whether this Weather Stump can tell her real-time mood. Yeah, sunny mood!



At the corner of the library, there is The Knowledge Tree, which is a interactive shadow play wall to learn about environment and energy conservation. Is there an alien lurking out of the hole at the bottom left hand corner of the wall, trying to attack the Earth? No... there was my shadow.



Pei Pei was more interested to play with the stools which looked like 3D puzzles!



There is a shelf of Chinese books with hanyu pinyin, and another shelf with Chinese-English bilingual books. It is great to have such shelves, so that I don't need to search high and low for them!

Pei Pei found some interesting books...



Then she sat down at the cosy reading place to enjoy her books.


There are eBooks and educational games at the eReading kiosk.

This library is really "green". Not just because of the vibrant green colour. The infrastructure and the decoration are environmentally-friendly. My Tree House has a collection of 45000 books, with 30%  focusing on animals, plants, nature, water resources, weather, environment, recycling and climate change. The other 70% of the collection is fiction books that include fairytales, fantasy and folklores related to the theme of the enchanted forest. Wow, really green!

I think it is a good place to educate our children about the importance of taking care of our environment. Looking forward to more green themed storytelling and craft-making programmes!

Do check out My Tree House soon!

Central National Library
Address: 100 Victoria Street Singapore 188064
Opening Hours: Monday - Sunday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. (Closed on public holidays)


Disclaimer: We were invited by National Library Board to attend the parents-child session. No monetary compensation was received.  All opinions are mine.


Thank you for visiting PeiPei.HaoHao. If you enjoy reading this post, do stay connected with us on Facebook!

2 comments :

  1. Hi there!

    Thank you for very much for the lovely post of 'My Tree House'.

    Visit us soon! :)

    Cheers
    Ave

    ReplyDelete